Okay, so if you know me AT ALL you know I have not stepped a toe in a gym since I took gymnastics and quit in the 8th grade. I have not ran a mile since P.E. in 8th grade nor sweat since then. BUT all of that has changed! I was always told you will start to notice differences in your body in your 30’s. Not my body I have been pretty blessed with amazing genes. I can tear through an entire bag of Reese’s and easily pound a few cans a Coke and not gain a pound. I am not saying that has changed but I have noticed some “Relief Society” arms going on (you know, when the bottom of your arms tends to swing), or when I am naked and look in the mirror and you see your bum but you are facing forward. TMI I know, but these are a few of the changes I was noticing… and I was not excited.
Seeing all of this did not make me jump on the working out bandwagon, it took a couple years. It actually took my husband who finally decided to work out and we haven’t stopped since. I have gone to the gym at least 5 days a week for 6 weeks now. I can now run a mile in less than 10 minutes! Instead of the usual 15 minutes.
Ways to Get You Motivated to Work Out:
- Find a person to help you stay motivated. Once my husband was finally able to get excited to work out it made it so much easier for me. Not that we work out everyday together because we don’t. But we are able to discuss what areas we are working on and able to keep each other accountable. PLUS we occasionally get to do it together and I LOVE it when we do.
- Buy some cute workout clothes. I mean who doesn’t love work out clothes? They are my very favorite to wear when I am working out and when I am not. To get me motivated after I worked out for a straight week I allowed myself to buy some cute new work out clothes. I still set goals for myself before I can buy more. It motivates me and I LOVE my rewards with cute clothes and better body.
- Find what you enjoy most. I tried classes and cardio and HATED it. I was always scared to lift because I don’t want to get bulky. After researching and trying I found what I enjoy and that is weights and lifting. I love the soreness and the progression you can see. I still do cardio everyday just not a ton, because I
kind ofreally hate it.
- Don’t cut out foods you enjoy just cut back. If I remove all the foods I really love this whole working out and getting healthy thing would never last. I would soon hate my life because I will be honest a part of my happiness comes from food. If we are going to In N Out I will get the hamburger protein style instead, instead of eating a 6 inch sandwich I will eat 4, or instead of eating 25 Reese’s I will now only eat 1-2. And as far as my Coke addiction goes, I no longer get headaches because I usually only drink one a day if that.
- Try and find a protein bar/drink/shakes that you like (aka can muster down as fast as possible before you actually taste it). I despise protein but have researched and realize the importance of it. After calorie intake it is THE most important. It is essential for building and repairing things. Your organs, muscles, skin, hair, nails, bones and certain hormones are all made up of some amount of protein. It’s an absolute requirement for sustaining life and proper function. PLUS of all the macronutrients we get from our calories (protein, fat, carbs) it is the most filling of them all. This makes it a huge key factor in controlling your hunger, curbing your appetite, and keeping you full and satisfied. I have been able to drink these and these.
- DRINK MORE WATER. What a life changer this will be. I hardly ever drank any water and am still working on this one. Every morning I fill this up completely. It stays cold for SOOOO long and I try and fill it up at least 3 times a day. I have noticed I drink much more if I have a straw so here is the one I got. It is dishwasher safe and makes my life easier.
- Enjoy your me time without your kids. A year ago I went on a girls trip and two of my friends looked AMAZING! I asked one how do you go to the gym every day and make it work with your kids? She said something that totally stayed with me. How do I not? I get 1-2 hours a day of free babysitting, I get me time to better myself, and they come home more worn out. Such a WIN WIN! I now know COMPLETELY what she means. I LOVE that my kids get to go play and I get to work out, watch a movie on my phone, or listen to some LDS talks and better myself.
- STOP making excuses! MAKE the TIME. I made every excuse in the book. You just have to start and go. If I can do it anyone can. I literally huffed just running up the stairs. I use to think I have 5 kids that is enough of a work out. But it isn’t my body deserves to be taken care of. Now get up and go get a membership and get your booty in gear.